Tuesday, February 01, 2005

From daughter to angel

Some of the pains in life simply do not go away. Maybe they can be transformed to lesser pains.

My friend's wife wrote this after they suffered the loss of their only daughter:

"The other day I saw a friend I hadn’t seen since school.
We sat and reminisced of things and how we were such fools
like when the boys would tease us and make us feel so small.

At least we stuck together and could deal with it all.
After school we parted ways and never once did meet.
Both married and had families – our lives were complete.

Now she held her grandson close and bounced him on her knee.
He’s my daughter’s first; our son has two; altogether three!
"And what of you", she asked –
"I heard you had just one, it seems a daughter, wasn’t it?", she asked (she heard from somebody).

I knew I had to answer and so mustered up a smile.
"I guess I haven’t seen you in a long, long while.
I once had a daughter who I loved tenderly.
I once had a daughter who meant the world to me.
The angels came and took her and left her Dad and me.
We once had a daughter we named Stephanie.

She was such a smart little girl and had a gorgeous smile.
Her constant game "let’s pretend" never was a trial.
Same for "my little ponies" and "cartoons", always on her mind.
"Read me a story, Mommy – Daddy give me a horsy ride!"

We decided to move to a new neighborhood when she was just nine.
The house was nice, the school was good, the neighbors seemed just fine.
We didn’t know that fate is cruel and accidents can happen out of sheer carelessness of people.

I once had a daughter who I loved tenderly.
I once had a daughter who meant the world to me.
The angels came and took her and left her Dad and me.
We once had a daughter we named Stephanie.

And so, my friend, there’s so much that I wish we could have done.
If only we were there to help her or someone had reached out to help her.
Alas it was not to be. It was too late.

Her death was such a sad mistake, and so I sing this song:
We once had a daughter who we loved tenderly.
We once had a daughter who meant the world to me.
The angels came and took her and left her Dad and me.
And now we have an angel named Stephanie."

This touched something deep within me and I felt their grief and pain.

Would you feel it too?

1 Comments:

At 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How could one not - feel this love and pain?
It would be, like not - feeling a gentle rain?
This mothers words - sit in me deep
Where unspoken "knowings" do not sleep...

I will keep her family - and you, in my prayers
Thank you for caring enough - to share...
Blessings

Always,
Linda Sonnett Carlson

 

Post a Comment

<< Home