Wednesday, March 16, 2005

When I must leave you

The tsunami tragedy last year caused untold sorrow to many people. There was an Englishman who lost his wife and children. He was going through the wife's belongings recently and found in her notebook this little poem written a couple of years ago. Did she have a premonition of her death or was it simply an expression of her thoughts on what can happen one day?


When I Must Leave You


When I must leave you for a little while
Please do not grieve and shed wild tears
And hug your sorrow to you through the years

But start out bravely with a gallant smile:
And for my sake and in my name live on
And do all the things the same

Feed not your loneliness on empty days,
But fill each waking hour in useful ways,
Reach out your hand in comfort and in cheer,
And I in turn will comfort you and hold you near:
And never, never be afraid to die,
For I am waiting for you in the sky!



This must be a meaningful legacy to the husband and definitely gives him strength and courage to live on. For most of us, we are so blessed to be spared the agony of this tragedy.Let's be thankful.

Yet all of us know that one day we too will leave this world and our loved ones.

Will it then be a life well lived and well loved?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home