Friday, September 02, 2005

A Poison Tree

A POISON TREE
By William Blake

I was angry with my friend:
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe:
I told it not, my wrath did grow.
And I watered it in fears

Night and morning with my tears,
And I sunned it with smiles
And with soft deceitful wiles.
And it grew both day and night,

Till it bore an apple bright,
And my foe beheld it shine,
And he knew that it was mine, -
And into my garden stole

When the night had veiled the pole;
In the morning, glad,I see
My foe outstretched beneath the tree.

This poem is a great illustration of the effects of anger in our lives.

When we are angry with someone that we love, we usually will find a way to talk about the problem and work things out.

When we are angry with someone that we don't like much, we won't care if the relationship is ruined forever--in our minds the relationship is worthless anyway.

Consequently we will stay angry with that person and allow our anger to fester inside of ourselves.

Eventually our anger will get the better of us and our foe will suffer his just consequences.

But who really suffers?

If it were just our enemies that would be bad enough, but usually we punish ourselves with our own anger.

Anger is a double-edged sword.

It hurts the one who wields it as much as it hurts the one who is slashed by it.

The poet says that anger is a poison.

Do you have this poison in your heart?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home